Monday, May 12, 2008

Adoption

What do you think of when you hear the word, "adoption"? I know my understanding of that word used to be very narrow. Until a couple of years ago I really thought of it only as a way for people who are unable to become pregnant to become parents. That has definitely changed!

At a Hearts at Home conference nearly two years ago I heard author and speaker, Lysa Terkeurst, tell the story of her family's adoption of two sons from Liberia. I thought it was a beautiful story- good for her, not for me! They had various booths at the conference with literature about adoption and I made a point to stay away. Why? Well, it all just sounded too overwhelming and scary. Besides, I have enough babies, right? About the same time, some friends who now live out of state were in the process of adopting two boys from Liberia. Well, through their blog I started reading other adoption stories and the word "adoption" suddenly took on new meaning. How is it that I lived all these years without making the connection between my adoption in Christ and the adoption of children?!

"even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will, to the praise of His glorious grace, with which He has blessed us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:4-6

I recently read a couple of John Piper's sermons on adoption and I highly recommend them to all of you reading this. They have helped me develop a new perspective. Here are some quotes that I think are so powerful-

"The questions you ask as you ponder adopting a child who needs a family are not first questions of feasibility or affordability. The questions you ask first are: Is my heart fixed on glorifying the grace of God?...We adopt a child not for our own glory but for the glory of God's grace."

"In adopting and rearing a child our goal is not to make much of the child, but rather to live and teach and lead in such a way that the child grows up to enjoy making much of God" (obviously should be the goal for all of our children!)

I hope that you will take the time to read these sermons. They are very encouraging and enlightening!

Will we ever adopt? I don't know, but I hope so. Pete's heart and my heart are both open to it! We would like to adopt "as an overflow of the inheritance that (we) have in Christ from God." (Piper)

1 comment:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Really well written, and interesting because I had never been one that wanted to adopt...the long, drawn out process almost seems painful. But over the past few months, it's always in the back of my mind...and no matter how I try to keep making reason "why not" it's still there.

I'm gonna check out those sermons...my husband is a HUGE fan of Pipers :)