Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Never a Dull Moment

We enjoyed lots of company in May- I think my mom was here twice, then there was my sister and her family, Anna Marie, and Brooke and 3 of her kids. We had great fun and sweet fellowship. Still, we are glad to be just the 8 of us for awhile here. Yesterday was strangely calm. I started the weeks' laundry, did some school, and took the kids outside for awhile. Then today we were having a really great day including a big bike ride to the library, some school work, and playtime in the backyard. This was the first time since Teshome came home that I left the kids unattended out there. Usually he is obsessed with the bike and not interested in the swing set, but today they were all having a great time pretending they were the "wild kratt's" (from the PBS show) I managed to get the refrigerator cleaned out- one of my most unfavorite jobs- and I was thinking to myself "now what shall I do." I actually laid down on the couch with a book. That's when Kate came running to the door saying Peter stepped on something. Well, I took my time getting to him in the backyard, thinking it was a minor thing. Then I saw IT- the montsrous, wicked looking "splinter." I called the pediatrician because I wanted to know if I should try to yank it out or just get to the doctor. They were closing in 30 minutes and we have a 30 + minute drive so I made the quick decision to just get there and I am so glad I did!! I threw everybody in the van, literally grabbing Charlotte out of bed and plopping her in, drove to the backyard to pick Peter up and away we went. I won't go into any more detail, but I am just glad that the doctor was the one to dig that sucker out of Peter's foot and I could hold his hand while he yelled and screamed like his foot was being sawed off. He's recovering now with the foot elevated and on ice. He'll be on an antibiotic for a week and had to get a tetanus shot.

Even in our pain and trouble, there is grace. I was able to get in touch with Pete's mom and she took the girls for me so I didn't have to haul everyone in to the doctor's office. If we'd had to go to the ER, it would have cost us a FORTUNE and we would have probably waited a long time. We are so thankful to the Lord that we are safely home. Lord willing, Peter's foot will heal quickly and we'll all be back to normal- whatever that is. I'll try to post a picture later- when I figure out how to get it off my phone and onto the computer :)

No comments: