Monday, October 22, 2007

Knowing Grace

Growing up with a dad in the Air Force, there was a significant amount of moving, saying good bye to friends, and making new ones. When I was 15 we moved to South Carolina. Some of the friends I made there have remained dear friends. Recently I realized I have known Brooke and Clay for 15 years and that brought me great comfort. There's nothing like having friends who know your history! When you make a new friend you like to try to learn a little of eachother's background- it helps to understand eachother when you know those details. However, it's difficult as an adult to even know where to begin. So it's a blessing to have friends that knew me when I was young and were there with me in high school. As I thought of this, I was struck with a greater comfort. I thought of the friend I have known the longest- my Creator and Saviour! Before I was created I was in His plan.

"Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in your book they all were written. The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them." Psalm 139:16
As a child He whispered to me, gently nudging me, drawing me close to Himself. As a teenager He showed me my sin, my desperate need for Him- His cleansing, forgiveness, friendship- HIS GRACE! He is my most faithful friend, the purest love. He continues to hold me, guide me, know me, give Himself to me. His fountain of grace is everlasting!
"What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take up the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord" Psalm 116:12,13
A note that I wrote in my Bible during a sermon on the latter verse says, "What do I do to pay God back for His grace? Confess His grace sustaining your life and ask for more blessings, more grace! The way we honor
God's grace is by receiving it and asking for more. We are debtors to grace forever. How do you glorify a fountain? You drink and drink and drink!"

1 comment:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

What a great reminder for me today. Thanks for that. :-)