Friday, November 2, 2007

Resting in His perfect will

Last night my mom told me that a family from my sister Racine's church is waiting by the hospital bed of their nine year old son and brother to see if he is going to recover from being hit by a car yesterday. Not only that, but Racine's sister in law, Keri, was babysitting him and two others of the six children in this family when this event occurred. News like this makes my heart sink. Racine is close to this family, the mother having been a sweet, encouraging and Godly influence in her life. I am sure Keri is distraught. And then there is a father, pregnant mother, and six children waiting and wondering. My heart goes out to all of them. I have been praying for them and I ask that you would as well. This little boy's name is Seth and he is a twin and was adopted from Russia (I'm not sure how long ago). As I think of them I wonder (because I have not faced personal tragedy) if they are finding themselves able to praise God in this pain. His Word says to "bless the Lord at ALL times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth" (Psalm 34:1) This is a time to reflect on His sovereignty and providence! "The counsel of the Lord stands forever, The plans of His heart to all generations." (Psalm 33:11) Article 8 of the Belgic Confession includes the following,

"We believe that the same good God, after He had created all things, did not forsake them or give them up to fortune or chance, but that He rules and governs them according to His holy will, so that nothing happens in this world without His appointment......And as to what He does surpassing human understanding, we will not curiously inquire into farther than our capacity will admit of; but with the greatest humility and reverence adore the righteous judgments of God, which are hid from us, contenting ourselves that we are pupils of Christ, to learn only those things which He has revealed to us in His Word, without transgressing these limits. This doctrine affords us unspeakable consolation, since we are taught that nothing can befall us by chance, but by the direction of our most gracious and heavenly Father; who watches over us with a paternal care, keeping all creatures so under His power that not a hair of our head (for they are all numbered), nor a sparrow can fall to the ground without the will of our Father, in whom we do entirely trust."

1 comment:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Diane told me about that this morning in church. I will pray for the little fellow too. I can only imagine what his parents are going through. And Keri. Poor her. It's so hard to believe that it could have happened to anyone when it was you looking after them. How hard for her. I will pray for everyone involved.