Friday, May 1, 2009

the boys make me laugh when I'm angry



I don't get mad very often. I get upset and annoyed, but anger just isn't something I experience very often. This morning I was angry. Yesterday Ella peed through her diaper onto her carseat. When we got home I wrestled with it to get the cover off and put it in the wash. I left the carseat on a table in the laundry room- where the children are not supposed to be unless they are walking through to go to the bathroom and then going right back out. Well, I guess the vulnerable styrofoam cover on the carseat proved too tempting for my curious Maddie. I was nursing Charlotte on the couch this morning when Peter came to me and said that Maddie was picking the foam off the carseat!! I interrupted poor little baby's feeding to run down and investigate only to find that, sure enough, she was in the process of destroying it. Discipline was administered and I emailed Pete to vent. Here's part of my email:




I am so angry at her I could spit. She picked off a huge chunk of the foam that is attached to the carseat. I don't know if it's salvageable- it says right on it "do not remove."




Here's what he wrote back:




She can't read.


If you need to spit, do it in the sink....


I will check it out when I get home.


Be patient and show the child the error of her ways with a gracious attitude.




I was laughing so hard when I read that! Then, of course, the kids wanted to know what I was laughing about. I said, "it's between me and your father." So then Peter asked, "did he call you 'girlfriend?'" That made me laugh all over again.


3 comments:

Racine said...

Oh man. Thanks for that, I love Pete's response. And if you ever need some Maddie relief, send her on up :-) BTW, I love the new picture of Ella on the right side, she looks so pretty and grown up!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Cute! I am SO grateful for my husband with teh cool head and even cooler temper. Because...me? Not so much.

shannon, mom, wife, blogger said...

i LOVE this story - it is all so familiar! i adore pete's response too - it sounds like it was just what you needed!
i was thinking about you today as i was doing some laundry...thinking that i had SO much to do and that there must be some better way! i am going to revisit that post you wrote with your laundry tackling strategies!
i ended my silent complaining by remembering that 5 kids produce more laundry that three and that you certainly are a stellar mom to handle all the fun surprises that your little ones provide!
hang in there my friend!!