Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Circle Time

This school year we've started a new routine. Each morning when breakfast and chores are complete we have "circle time." The children and I gather in the living room and I read several things to them, we discuss a little, and we sing a hymn or two. They're still learning how to do this without moving off their carpet square and without whining about who sits next to me (there is a weekly rotation, but it never fails that a certain little girl cries because she doesn't understand how it works!). We begin circle time with prayer. The children take turns praying for our school day. Then we read. These are the things we are reading:

First, a few Bible verses. I read the same passage every day for the month. As they hear it over and over, they memorize it and they say it with me. Now that Sunday school is back in session we'll also use this time to practice their memory work. And for Classical Conversations they are learning Ephesians 6 so we'll go over that as well.

Next I read a section from the Heidelberg Catechism.

Then we read a couple of pages from this book


After that, I read a page from a book in this series:



If everyone is still with me I like to read some of this. It's a beautiful book that I borrowed from the church library, but will have to buy one of these days because it's going to take awhile to get through.


I look forward to the day when the little ones have gotten so used to this that we can all really enjoy our time of sitting together and learning from this treasury of books!



No comments: